Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Crêperie le Triskel (Breakfast)

Crêperie le Triskel
32 Hardware Lane, Melbourne
Tel o4 6640 6404

I just heard about Hardware Lane from my friend. She told me that there's a new crêperie open there and it looks good. So, I google it and find out that it is a lane with lots of restaurants and cafés with jazz band on dinner time...sound great, isn't it?

I went there on Monday afternoon to see if it is o.k. to have dinner at Crêperie le Triskel. Unfortunately, this french crêpelerie closes on Sunday and Monday.
I walked around and took some pictures of the shop. From outside, it looks good. I also took the picture of menus...to make a decision what I should order...lol.

As I cannot decide which restaurant I would sit for that dinner, I decided to save the secret of Hardware Lane (the dinner night with live jazz music) for the future.

I came back in the next morning because after I read the menu, I keep dreaming about having café au lait in french style - having a bowl of cafe au lait with tartine (toast bagutte).

I sat at the front window. There are also few table outside, too if you would like to get some fresh air. But for me, the smell of fresh crêpe and coffee is more desirable.


This is the front door of the shop with the opening hours in both French and English. Remember, don't go there on Sunday and Monday, or you will end up like me! I think they forgot to change the sign on the door to be "open" but as they opened their door, it's fine...lol

This is the coffee-counter. You have choices of cold drink and tea as well.

Another side is the food counter, which that guy was making tartines.

As usual, they gave me a glass and a bottle of water while I read the menu. (Note: the red menu is for breakfast which is available from 7.oo to 11.30.

As you can guess, I ordered 'French Tartines with Bol de Café au Lait(6.50AUD) as I would like to have the experience of french breakfast.

My coffee came first. It looks nice! Not too hot and good-looking. They gave me a spoon as well, but as I remembered from my french class long time ago, I think french people sip from the bowl directly and it makes more sense for me to sip from a bowl than using spoon. So, I decided to sip from a bowl.

The coffee is as nice as its looking; nice and warm. I think it contained only 1 shot of espresso because the tasting is so milky with the strong aroma of coffee.This is a great start of the day...I wish I could have it as breakfast every morning. I understand that they use organic-fair trade coffee in their shop, maybe this is a reason that makes this coffee so good.

Then, my toast came. I chose tartines with apricot jam. It smells so good and makes me forgot to take a picture before the first bite! It's so crispy with a bit of salted butter accompanied with not too sweet apricot jam. (They gave you various choice of topping; strawberries jam, apricots jam, marmalade, and noutella, etc. I think next time I will order the marmalade one.)

Let them have a picture together! Do you agree with me that it's a nice combination...toast with café au lait!

As we are in the french atmosphere; all staffs of the shop speak french! So, I read Le Monde, french newspaper, even I am now understand french writing less than 50%...lol

I also took the photo of the shop before leaving but this picture is a bit bad. Crêperie le Triskel is on the left-hand of the picture which the man just walked pass.

Overall, I'm so happy with this shop. It's great on a good price. I wanna go back to try their crepe. I think they are good at it as their specialize on crepe. (but they make good tartines as well!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Look so great na. Wanna go jang....

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

Finally you went there..hehe...Looks so french ! I have never seen Tartines before...

I wanna go to Melbourne ><

Anonymous said...

wooahhaooooooooooooooooo

we just had that awesome tartines et croissants together!!!

C'etait tres magnifique ^____________^

Annie